Cold Season Is Around the Corner
It has come to that time of the year when spring has ended and fall is here. The weather starts getting colder, leaves are falling off of trees, and people begin to get sick. To avoid getting stuck with a week or two of feeling unwell and down, which may include everything from a runny nose, itchy sore throat to a cough, congestion, and mild fever here are some preventative steps to help your immune system stay bacteria and virus infection free.
- Ø Make sure you’re always washing your hands. Use warm water, soap and scrub for at least 20 seconds. If you’re not by a sink then try to carry hand sanitizer with you.
- Ø Disinfect your home regularly. Spray off surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom
- Ø Eat a well-balanced diet. Eating foods that provide the sources of energy and nutrition your body needs will help build a healthy immune system. If cannot eat the foods you need you can also try taking a multivitamin.
- Ø Get plenty of rest. On average humans require 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Lack of sleep can lower the immune system’s ability to react when needed.
- Ø Gather supplies. While you’re feeling healthy stock up on a few essentials in case you do get a cold. (Example tissues, cough drops, soup, tea….)
- Ø Try to avoid sharing. Cold germs can spread very easily by sharing utensils and drinking glasses.
- Ø Switch to paper goods. By switching to paper towels and paper cups in the bathroom you can toss after one use and be less likely to get sick.