Liquor Legal Insurance is sold to liquor licensees and to individuals who are intending to serve alcohol.
Any establishment that may sell, serve, or assists in the purchase or use of liquor opens its doors for the potential risk of a liability claim as a consequence of someone getting drunk to the extent that injuries or property damages are the result.
While it’s logical that the inebriated person should be the one to pay, in reality the business that served the alcohol could be liable for injuries, damages, or both that occurred as a result of actions, behaviors, or conduct of a patron who drank too much.
One way to help protect yourself or your business is to have Liquor Liability Insurance.
Host Liquor Liability
Host Liquor Liability. This is a key wedding coverage (Event Coverage), providing protection against bodily injury or property damage suits brought by parties injured as a result of an intoxicated guest, who was served alcohol at an event you hosted.
(Host Liquor Liability insurance is used for events where you DO NOT OWN THE BUSINESS PROVIDING THE ALCOHOL)
Regular Liquor Liability
Regular Liquor Liability is for when you are operating a business that regularly serves or sells alcohol.
(Regular Liquor Liability Insurance is for Business’s who are in it for the long haul.)
A Homeowner’s Policy may or may not include this coverage. A General Liability Policy may or may not include this coverage for businesses that have incidental Liquor Legal exposures.
When determining the purchase of a Liquor Liability Insurance Policy there is several factors to keep in mind. First call your insurance agent to get the best understand of your coverages and future insurance needs. 🙂
Aside from investing in liquor liability insurance, establishments should take the appropriate proactive measures to help eliminate potential risks.
Friendly Tips to Eliminate Potential Liquor Liability Claims
- Training Employees (Continual training, Alcohol-related risks and applicable state laws)
- Well-documented and enforced procedures
- Management’s commitment to support the procedures
- Refuse serving alcohol to clearly intoxicated person.
- Check ALL ID’s for the purchase or consumption of alcohol
- Requiring strict measuring of mixed drinks
- Encouraging designating drivers or taxi use
- Be sure to understand what the legal standard is in your state.(If you are uncertain, consult with your legal counsel.)
- Encourage service of light alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic beverages and food throughout the evening.
- Post signs about responsible drinking.
Chances of having to deal with a Liquor Liability Claim can be reduced by implementing
& enforcing safe alcohol serving/selling practices.
As a Trusted Choice agency, we can help you find the right coverage for you. For more information regarding Liquor Liability Insurance call A.R. Davis today! (440)264-2093